What is the WinTV-DCR-2650?
WinTV-DCR-2650 is a cable TV set top box which you only need to buy once. The only on going fees are your monthly cable service fees plus the cost of the CableCARD (which costs around $5 per month).
WinTV-DCR-2650 has two tuners, so with Windows Media Center you can record two TV programs at the same time, or you can watch one TV program while recording another.
How does WinTV-DCR-2650 work?
WinTV-DCR-2650 is just like a cable TV set top box in that it can be used to watch TV from digital cable. There are a couple of differences:
- WinTV-DCR-2650 needs a PC to work. Currently, only Windows 7 Media Center is compatible with the WinTV-DCR2650.
- WinTV-DCR-2650 does not have any internal disk storage. It uses your PC for storing recorded TV programs. The nice thing about using your PC for storage is that if you fill up your hard drive with TV programs, you can easily add a new hard drive to your PC.
- There is no monthly fee for the WinTV-DCR-2650. Once you buy it, it's yours to use forever. But you still need to sign up for cable TV service, and you will still need to rent a digital cable card from your local cable operator.
WinTV-DCR-2650 allows you to watch and record premium cable TV channels such as HBO and Showtime
All of your cable TV channels, including premium cable channels such as HBO and Showtime, can be watched and recorded with the WinTV-HVR-2650 and Windows Media Center.
Pay per view and video on demand will not be available through the WinTV-DCR-2605 since it requires a two way communication to your cable operator.
How to tell if your PC is compatible with the WinTV-DCR-2650?
Microsoft has created a test program to tell if your PC has the correct resources to run the CableCARD
receiver. Click here for the WinTV-DCR-2650
Support page. Click the Digital Cable Advisor tab for instructions on running the Digital Cable Advisor.
WinTV-DCR-2650 is easy to install via a USB connector
- Works with most Windows 7 systems with USB ports, both desktop and notebook PCs.
- Plugs into your cable TV directly. No set top box required!
- Use a standard Windows Media Center remote control (not supplied)